If you would like to make some home improvements this spring, there are many things you can do. You should start out with windows. If your current windows are old, replacing them will give your home a facelift. Not only this, but it can also help your home be much more energy efficient. When choosing new windows, you will find there are many types and frame materials on the market. This can make it difficult to choose what would work best for you. Below are types of windows and frames to help you get started.
Some different window types you will find include:
- Double-hung: Double-hung windows have two sashes that you slide vertically to open and close the window.
- Casement: This type of window is hinged and is operated by turning a crank or there are also electric casement windows available that you operate by pressing a button or a remote.
- Picture: This type of window is large so you cannot open or close it. This type works well if you have a great view outside your window.
- Awning: Awning windows have a hinge at the top and they open outward. This allows you to have ventilation in your home even if it is raining outside.
- Bay: Bay windows protrude out from the exterior of your home. This gives you a place to sit inside the window to relax, read a book, or simply enjoy looking outside.
Window Frame Materials
Once you decide on the type of window you would like, you have to decide on the frame materials. Some types you have to choose from include:
- Solid wood: This type of frame is energy efficient and available in a variety of colors. You do have to repaint wood both outside and inside regularly, however.
- Clad wood: This type of frame's exterior is protected with a covering of vinyl or pre-painted aluminum. This means you will not have to paint the exterior wood.
- Aluminum: This type of frame is durable and generally less expensive when compared to wood. The frame must have a well-designed thermal break to prevent frost and condensation from forming on it.
- Vinyl: This type of frame offers good insulation and you will not have to worry about painting.
Contact a windows contractor to learn much more about the different types of windows and frames. This can help you make the right choice on what would work well for your home. For more information, contact a business such as Weather-Tek Home Remodeling Center.